Photo by Marianne P. Stone
On June 24, the acclaimed Billy Joel tribute band, Big Shot, performed at The Paramount in Huntington on Long Island, which included a surprise appearance from the “Piano Man” himself.
Mike DelGuidice switched over to guitar, as the iconic “Piano Man” himself, Billy Joel, joined him on piano, for a distinct rendition of The Beatles’ “With a Little Help From My Friends,” which garnered a raucous response from the crowd. Joel also sang “Honky Tonk Woman” with Big Shot, and they joined forces on his very own “You May Be Right,” which was yet another crowd pleaser.
“My man Mike DelGuidice,” Joel exclaimed, commending the band for their work, prior to noting that he lives near The Paramount. – Digital Journal
Joel descended from the VIP area where he was watching the show with his wife, Alexis Roderick. He bypassed material from his own catalog and instead had some fun jamming on covers of The Beatles’ “With a Little Help From My Friends,” done Joe Cocker-style, and the Rolling Stones’ “Honky Tonk Women.”
The band, which consists of guitarist Tommy Byrnes, drummer Chuck Burgi and guitarist/background vocalist DelGuidice — all from Joel’s touring unit — played along with sheer zest, turning the Paramount into Madison Square Garden for 15 minutes. The audience instantly exploded, recognizing its good fortune.
Joel awarded them with one of his biggest hits, “You May Be Right,” which DelGuidice blended with Led Zeppelin’s “Rock & Roll.” – Newsday
ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos
Billy Joel makes a surprise appearance with Mike DelGuidice and Big Shot at The Paramount on June 24, 2016. Photo by Marianne P. Stone
- * Billy Joel makes surprise appearance at tribute band show – U.S. News & World Report
- * Watch Billy Joel Perform Surprise Set With Cover Band on Long Island – Rolling Stone
- * Billy Joel surprises and performs with a Billy Joel cover band – Entertainment Weekly
- * Billy Joel joins tribute band onstage at Long Island concert – New York Daily News
- * Billy Joel Makes Surprise Appearance at Tribute Band Show – ABC News